Monday, March 27, 2006

And the Gold Medal Goes To...

After two great games and two big buckets of beer it was time to make our way else where. Most of our group decided it was time to call it a night, but not my two guests…no way, they were in New York City and it would be my best friend’s birthday in matter of hours if it wasn’t already.

As it turns out, I don’t think we ever did a count down or even a happy birthday once the clock struck twelve. After the power hour that is your 21st birthday, the whole “it’s midnight, it’s my birthday” thing really looses its luster.

Although it was late and my two rock stars, in town for only a matter of three days and two nights, were probably a bit tired, they kept throwing them back. We made our way to a place I like to call “home.” No, we had not made our way back to my apartment, we had just walked through the ever annoying swinging wooded doors of Third and Long, my favorite bar in the city. As I hoped, the big man that runs the show was working the door. As this is my favorite bar in the city, this guy is one of my favorite people in the city. (I mean that in the most heterosexual way possible)

I introduced my good friends, we all exchanges a few pleasantries and then it was time for some more drinking. “Vodka Red Bull please.” I looked at my buddy, head cocked to the side, just like a dog when you say its name with a bit of confusion, as he ordered not just one for himself but one for me as well. After what seemed like million Miller Lites, it was “a good call” to make the switch…

The bar was pretty slow, so it gave the three of us time to bullshit. Something we could make an Olympic event out of we’re so damn good at it! We seemed to cover all subjects while sitting in the back corner of the bar. (A corner I didn’t even know existed) We talked about friends, old ones and new ones…The ones doing really well and then the ones who weren’t doing so well.

We moved from friends to relationships and then back to friends. After all, what’s better than talking about people when they’re not there? Come on, you know you’ve done it before. Hell you’re probably doing it right now. Between the wise cracks and “I heard so and so go really fat” comments, my friend did throw me a compliment that meant the world to me. We were discussing certain friends that are still riding the “I don’t know what I want to do, I don’t wanna grow up” rollercoaster…all the while letting mommy and daddy pay their admission to the fun park. He said he’s always had so much respect for me because I’ve always had such a strong work ethic and that I always busted my ass even though I may have not needed to. He’s a great guy, a great friend, and someone I know will achieve and obtain anything he truly wants.

When on the subject of relationships, we talked about the two of theirs’ and how well they work together. You know there are those couples that you’d rather hang yourself with a linen napkin than sit through a long night of lengthy conversations. We then moved on to my relationships…and that for obvious reasons was a fairly quick exchange. However, I did realize that I am happy flying solo right now. Having someone would be grand, but only if they see me for me, and would give me all that I would give them. I will admit I really like me, and until I find someone that makes me think more about them than me, until I want to and cannot wait to put them in front of myself, I’m better off being a one man show. I understand that may be a selfish, stereotypical twenty something view point, but it’s the truth and it’s me.

Thanks for listening

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you had fun. It was quiet enjoyable to read about the weekend through your eyes. Love ya babe....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just like to point out that was not my guy friend leaving the comment...Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your inner frat-monkey started to come out of you there a bit and then you smaked the monkey down... let the monkey out, he wants a beer and a smoke!

    ReplyDelete