Friday, February 24, 2006

A Blue Bic Pen


I have to admit that I omitted one detail from the previous night’s activities. I did in fact go to some swanky club on the west side where I did enjoy a beverage or two. I did meet up with a small group of friends after that where I again had a beverage or ten. All in all, it was a perfect night filled with good people and different places. That’s one of my favorite elements of this city, so many bars and restaurants you will always end up foreign place before the night’s end.

But it wasn’t the different groups of people or the new establishes that I failed to mention that really made me feel guilty for not exposing all of the night’s happenings. It was in fact something I wrote once I returned home. It wasn’t too late, I had been out later on a school/work night before. But for some odd reason, I couldn’t sleep. My mind was going a mile a minute and that’s not usually the case when getting home after a night out on the town. All of the sudden I sprang out of bed grabbed a pen off my desk and wrote something.

I feel like these moments that pop you to your feet are usually million dollar ideas or maybe even the answer to 9 across from the Time’s Crossword puzzle you just couldn’t figure out earlier in the day. However that was not the case here. This was not a shopping list, an movie idea, it was a simple 4 letter sentence. Maybe it’s a phrase, maybe it’s a mantra, and maybe it’s a code. I’m not sure at this point. I just know that for some reason I wrote it, I wrote it as quickly as I could, in fear it would soon leave me.

When I grabbed the pen off the desk and scrambled for a piece of paper, I found nothing. I found the back’s of envelopes, old receipts, but I needed something bigger, something that would last. Then I suddenly looked up and started writing…writing on the wall. "DO SOMETHING BIG TODAY" The letters were strong, not huge, but not small. It was literally the first thing I saw when I woke up the next morning and I love it. I love the phrase only because I think that I have been doing anything but that recently.

I am someone who wants a lot out of life and am willing to do just about anything to make sure I get what I want. But it’s just that, I can say I want that or I want this, but unless I’m doing something big, making something happen, I will be empty handed at the end of the day. So again…a phrase? A mantra? A code? I am not sure yet, but I’ll be damn if it isn’t something I’m going to continue to practice.

1 comment:

  1. So tell us swami...what is the secret to life?

    ReplyDelete